2014: The Road to GUARDIANS (Editorial)

As of today, there are exactly 210 days until the release of Marvel Studios' best film yet (hopefully), GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY. We are now living in the year 2014, which makes the anticipation so much more real. In this editorial, I am going to talk a little bit about my predictions, hopes, and fears for the year (all pertaining to GOTG, of course).

I am greatly looking forward to 2014. I know that this will be a year filled with much GUARDIANS news, whether it's the comics or the movie. I was really excited about the first official image that was released and I can't wait to get a look at our first "official" footage from the film. If I had to guess, I would say that Marvel will probably show footage during the Super Bowl on February 2nd. Since the Super Bowl has such a large audience, this would put the knowledge of GUARDIANS in many people's minds. Also, Super Bowl commercials are known for being funny, so I could see a humorous TV spot featuring Groot and Rocket, before going into action footage from the film. 


As far as a theatrical trailer goes, THE LEGO MOVIE which features our very own Star-Lord, Chris Pratt, voicing the main character, will be hitting theaters on February 7th, just a few days after the Super Bowl. There will undoubtedly be a large audience for that film as well, and who better to market Rocket Raccoon to, than children (even though he's not always very kid-friendly). If not, there's always MUPPETS MOST WANTED in March or CAP 2 in April. Click the jump to read the rest!

There really hasn't been many plot details come out lately about GOTG (from what I can tell), but one quote that has been circling the web recently has got Galaxians feeling a little down. Drew McWeeny from HitFix is claiming that Thanos may not be seen in the GOTG film. Honestly, I don't believe it. As much as James Gunn and Kevin Feige have promised Thanos to us, I think it would be a mistake not to show him. After all, he is what connects this film to THE AVENGERS. Even if it is one scene at the end, I believe we'll see Thanos, and so should you! Keep hope alive, Galaxians!

"Can I at least get another cameo?" - Thanos

There are also rumors of a GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY animated series on Disney XD. Apparently, those talks have been getting more serious and I think that we'll see an animated series soon. If so, I can't wait!

After GUARDIANS is released, we will know more about the future of the "cosmic side" of Marvel's Cinematic Universe. The main question for me is, "Will GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY be able to win over the hearts of movie-goers across the world?" My biggest hope (cinematically speaking) is that GOTG will do BIG numbers at the box-office, and peak people's interest about, not only The Guardians, but all the interesting, cosmic characters that Marvel has to offer. I also hope that we'll see people take an interest in the Nova Corps, eventually leading to a NOVA film. Wouldn't that be great?
I also hope that Adam Warlock is given his own movie eventually. Although it seems like a stretch, considering Marvel Studios hasn't really said anything about the character, I think he is important in the cosmic side of things. I fear that Marvel will try to make an Infinity Gauntlet film without him.
Adam Warlock
Before signing off, I'd like to apologize for being absent and neglecting the site the past few months. As some of you know, adult life can be very, very hectic, and sometimes the things we have a passion for must take the backseat.

Now, with that being said, I'd like to tell you a cool little story about something that happened to me last year. During the last two weeks of filming, I contacted Marvel Studios' about visiting the GUARDIANS set. Before you get your hopes up, no, I didn't visit the set. But I ended up talking to a really cool guy, Barry Curtis, the Senior Security Manager for Marvel Studios on the set. He didn't tell me anything about the movie that would be considered a spoiler, but he did offer to send me a signed GOTG poster! A few weeks later, I received the SDCC concept art poster with signatures from Chris Pratt (Star-Lord), Zoe Saldana (Gamora), and Dave Bautista (Drax)! It was one of the coolest things that has ever happened to me, and it was all a result of the hard work that my contributors and I put into the site. 

Speaking of contributors, I'd like to give a HUGE thank you to Leo Wyld and Lokein Lyesmith. Since I have been absent, they have taken over and done a great job. They probably thought I was dead or something, but I'm really proud of what they did with the place while I was gone.

Overall, last year was a great year and I am hoping 2014 will be even better. Keep in touch, Galaxians!

What would like to see happen with the Guardians this year? Drop a comment below!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on the poster! Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be an *awesome* year. I've said it on Twitter more times than I can count, the Guardians movie is my Future Favorite Movie Of All Time. That said, yes, I hope it does crazy well in the mainstream, too, because the Guardians of the Galaxy is a collection of some very interesting characters. And, as a player of Marvel Heroes, I am very excited to see what cosmic Guardian-flavored tie-ins they have planned in game, especially since Rocket has been the team's rep since launch (although Quill is being added around movie-time, officially, and Gamora has been confirmed in chat as coming eventually). Though he has dozens of hilarious and entertaining lines of dialog, as voice by the veteran Steve Blum, Rocket appears in none of the story's motion comic cinematics. I hope to see that change, new costumes, and a... a story hub based out of Knowehere, dare we hope? I do. (Also, it looks like I will be attending SDCC this year... and the Guardians movie launches exactly two weeks before my birthday. Best.Summer.Ever? I think so.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flarking excited about this film! Been with Marvel's cosmic side since Silver Surfer #1 (which my Dad grabbed out of my hand and threw in the fireplace one night!!). I love the approach they are taking, just trickling out little bits of info here and there. Positioning high profile stars to up the draw. Part of me thinks this is the movie that could make folks remember Star Wars as "cute".
    Been watching here ever since the Thor:Dark World movie for some commentary on the post credits scene...wasn't that Adam Warlocks cocoon in the background??? coulda sworn...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment