Why 'Come And Get Your Love' By Redbone Is A Perfect Song For GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY (Editorial)

By Cameron Logan

(Warning: SPOILERS) When Redbone's 'Come and Get Your Love' was playing during Peter Quill's dance scene at the beginning of Guardians of the Galaxy, I wondered to myself "why that song?" Yes, it's a catchy tune, and you can't help but smile when you hear it, but I'm always looking for a deeper meaning. On my second viewing of Guardians of the Galaxy, it hit me! Now let me preface this by saying...bear with me here. Okay. Here's my theory:

The Orb is singing 'Come and Get Your Love' to Peter. 


Yes, I know it sounds crazy, but think about it. Peter Quill has been raised by Yondu and his crazy band of Ravagers. Peter says it himself that Yondu was the closest thing to family that he had. However, I wouldn't say that Yondu loved Peter by any means of the imagination. In fact, no one, since Peter's mother, had truly loved him. Because of this Peter had become selfish, only watching out for himself.

When Peter Quill begins listening to 'Come and Get Your Love' he is just within reach of the orb, and he knows it. He puts on the headphones and begins playing that song. It's no coincidence that the song's main hook features the words "come and get" while Peter is "coming to get" the orb. However, the most interesting part is...the orb eventually leads Peter to "love". If it weren't for the orb, Peter would have never met Gamora, Drax, Rocket, or Groot. The orb is responsible for Peter finally finding a family; finding love.


At the end of the film, when Peter finally opens the present from his mother, it's because he finally has a family again. He can finally let go of his mother's hand, because he has "new hands" to hold onto now. Now I don't know if this is what director James Gunn intended, but next time you watch Guardians of the Galaxy, when Redbone's 'Come and Get Your Love' starts playing, maybe you'll see that song in a whole new light.

If you don't own it yet, you can purchase or download Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Mix Vol.1 on Amazon.

4 comments:

Post a Comment