Donate to the Care of Rocket Raccoon Creator, Bill Mantlo

Bill Mantlo was one of Marvel's top writers in the 1970's and early 80's. Fans of Guardians of the Galaxy may know him as the creator of fan-favorite Rocket Raccoon. After years of creating many beloved characters, such as Rocket, Mantlo was hit by a car while rollerblading in 1992. Mantlo suffered severe damage to the brain and was in a coma, before coming out of it eventually. Unfortunately, the brain damage was so severe that Mantlo must fully reside in a Healthcare facility, named Queens-Nassau Rehabilitation Center in Far Rockaway Queens, NY. Bill Coffin from LifeHealthPro wrote this very detailed article about Bill Mantlo's current condition a few years ago. It will give you a bigger picture of what Bill Mantlo's condition is like.

As you can imagine, full time care for a patient can end up costing A LOT of money. Please take the time to donate some money to Bill's brother Mike, for Bill's ongoing care. Think of all the joy Bill has given us through Rocket Raccoon, and the many other comics he wrote. Give a little bit of joy back to him. Click the link below to donate.


Thanks to Greg Pak for the tip. Here's a letter from Newsarama by Bill's brother, Mike.

"First off, I send out a big THANK YOU to everyone that has helped support Bill over these past 19 years (!). Every donation, no matter how big or small, and every card or letter is greatly appreciated. Bill’s condition remains the same (he suffers severe cognitive impairments, anger, and depression), and these factors keep him very much isolated from “the outside world.” Aside from my visits, and the kindness of my beautiful wife and some of the attendants at the nursing home/rehabilitation facility he resides in, his contact with other human beings is virtually non-existent. But the support and encouragement of fans, and industry professionals like yourself, helps to bring a little ray of sunlight into his dark and dreary days. When I (or my wife) engage Bill in conversation, his spirit emerges and is as strong and pure as it ever was! So, once again, I can’t thank ALL of you enough!! I strongly believe in the power of practicing random acts of kindness, and with that belief I hope that ALL of your kindnesses will be returned to you many, many times over!
Cards, letters or donations to Bill Mantlo can be sent to:
Mike Mantlo
26364 East Pintail Road
Long Neck, DE 19966
Please make out any checks to “Michael Mantlo” — Bill’s legal guardian."

9 comments:

  1. I donated. Thanks for making me aware of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had heard of Bill's current condition somewhere prior, but I was not previously aware of the financial situation. I feel quite bad that I am not currently in a situation where I can really afford to donate to this. I do think, though, it was a wonderful idea to post this here, and I hope it sees a great response. Best wishes to Bill and his family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just do what you can by spreading the word!

      Delete
    2. As a matter of fact, I just posted a bit about this with a link to this segment on the front page of my guildsite.

      Delete
  3. Insanely cool idea to bring attention to this at what is probably just the start of the Rocket Raccoon craze. We should try to keep this popping up every now and again leading up to, and immediately after, the GotG movie release.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I'm going to keep the banner on the top of the site for a while.

      Delete
  4. Will definitely send a letter and make a donation if I can.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment