UPDATED: Bradley Cooper is Rocket Raccoon?

UPDATE: According to The Hollywood Reporter, Cooper absolutely is in talks to play Rocket, although negotiations have just begun.

The website Latino Review is claiming that an "inside source" has given them exclusive information about the casting of a lead character for the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy film. According to the source, Oscar-nominated actor, Bradley Cooper, has reportedly been offered the role of Rocket Raccoon by Marvel Studios. The article by LR didn't really give much information on the casting, other than saying that their source was from London. Could this really be true?

A few weeks ago, we ran an article with a rumor that we got from another "inside source," although we were told from the get-go that this was merely a rumor rumbling around the set. The story (which can be found here) was about the casting of director James Gunn's brother, Sean Gunn, as Rocket Raccoon.

Although our source is very reliable, we must say that the casting of Bradley Cooper seems more likely, due to his star status. However, we also know that Sean Gunn is playing some sort of role in the film, so we're still undecided as to which casting rumor, if either, are true.

Bradley Cooper would definitely bring more people into the theater, although he seems wasted on a voice-only role. What do you think? Will Rocket Raccoon be played by big-time Hollywood stud, Bradley Cooper, or former Gilmore Girls actor/director's brother, Sean Gunn? Drop a comment below!

10 comments:

  1. I think Cooper's a good pick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cooper is a great actor, but I just don't think he and Rocket are a good match for one another. I've always hoped that Cooper would appear in the MCU at some point, and I think everyone pretty much believes it will happen eventually considering his success and proven track record as a good, likeable leading-man, but Rocket (as good and prominent of a character as he is) seems like a role that Cooper would be a little squandered on. And vice versa. I've always felt that whoever voices Rocket should have a good, strong, recognizable voice that just oozes character, and Cooper wouldn't really bring that. Years ago when I was reading the comics, I always read Rocket's lines with Danny DeVito's voice in my head, so I guess I may be just a little stuck in my ways when it comes to choices for the voice actor. Bottom line is, Cooper is a great actor and Rocket Raccoon is a great character, but I would just rather see Cooper handling a role like Nova, and see someone more like DeVito (as an example) voicing Rocket. Then again, the least obvious choices are sometimes the best...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see Cooper as Nova, although I've heard that Cooper and Saldana were an item once and now they don't get along. Not that I care about celeb gossip, but Nova and Gamora have been lovers in the comics.

      Delete
    2. Rocket's "voice" in the comics for my was somewhat generic, until I played UMvC3 and, more recently, Marvel Heroes. I thought the Cockney accent an odd choice at first, but now that I've played Marvel Heroes for months, I've grown to like the accent (mostly because of Steve Blum's awesome take on it). Now, I can actually hear Steve when I read the comics and it does kinda fit. --If you haven't tried MH yet, by the way you should. Rocket's a bit on the weak side, in terms of overall balance at the moment (which will be improved soon). But his model and voice are just so well done.

      In terms of the actual news. I'm fine with Bradley Cooper. He can act, the question is what sort of performance will he bring to the voice of Rocket. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

      Delete
    3. I agree with Cameron, I'd be happy with Cooper as Nova. I think he'd work well with Chris Pratt's StarLord. But I don't think he's right for Rocket. Rocket seethes sarcasm at every turn, and we need a voice that can hold that tone all the time, without coming off as a total jerk. Not sure that's Cooper. Someone on Twitter suggested Steve Buscemi. If they were going to 'american-ize' Rocket, I think that's who'd I'd root for.

      Delete
  3. Never trust Latino Review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope, the Latino Review is complete and utter bollocks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If he is to be cast, I wonder if he will use the British accent. If you want to hear him doing a Brtish accent, watch the movie "The Rocker". Either way, he is a great actor and I won't have any complaints about the casting; however, I too, believe he would make a much better Nova.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't have a specific voice in my head for Rocky when I read the comics, so I don't really know who I would want to voice it. Cooper is probably a fine choice though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like Cooper as an actor and I think he's very talented.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment